Friday, May 4, 2018

Creating the Story

So far I've mostly talked about the artwork in getting the comic up and running, but I thought I should talk about the story too.

I started to create these characters when I was in the 5th grade (sorry to say I never wrote down exact dates of creation, just years) and I worked on stories with them for about 11 years.  However, my problem is/was that I never wrote the stories down on paper, I only had them in my head and just a few random notes, but not anything to record what the stories were.

I did always remember all of the characters' names, origins, powers and personalities, but that was about it. 

In 2012, when I started the journey to get me to this point, I pull out all of my old artwork and the few notes I had and I started to plot out the overall story that I wanted to tell and before I even published issue 1, I already had the first 24 issues written.

I took some of what I remembered and combined it with some new ideas; incorporating things that I had learned over the years that I didn't know in 5th grade and the stories that I'm about to tell are the result of that.

A couple of interesting things came around because of that. One that is really fun for me is how each new hero joins the team.  When I was kid, I just created the characters and never explained how they joined the team - they were just there!  When I started to plan the comic and plotting the story out I realized that aspect had always been missing, so I'm creating those points of introduction for the first time, each of which is totally new and fun for me.

The other thing was the realization that it's my universe to create and I can change things as needed.  For example, in my original stories Master Mind was not a founding member of the team, she was actually the first person to join the team.  When I started writing in 2012 the idea came to me to make her a founding member and my first thought was that of "you can't do that, she wasn't a founding member" then instantly realized that my characters are new to the world and no one would know what the original ideas had been and it was my chance to take the story in a direction that will hopefully be exciting and enjoyable to others.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cover Redo

Since starting the comic back in 2018 my style has been changing a bit so I thought it would be fun to redo the cover to issue # 1 in the ne...