Saturday, June 15, 2019

Comics and Genealogy

The next issue (number 10 should be out next week) is a little special for me as it combines my love of comics and my passion for genealogy.  

When the economy tanked in 2008 I found myself unemployed for 22 months!  (I've been working steady since, thankfully)  In that time I developed a passion for genealogy and tracing my family tree.  Today I'm in touch with about 400 cousins across many different branches of my family.  

One of the things that I specialized in with my research was my Italian side of the family - I read over 50,000 civil records from one town alone in order to create my tree.  

While I don't want to give much away, my next issue is set in one of the towns my ancestors came from - Popoli, Italy and with that as backdrop I introduce a new character into the mix called Italus.  Of course don't be surprised if the issue also sees a trip to Rome and maybe the comune of Fossacessia as well.
While genealogy itself doesn't play a role in the issue, the creation of the character is a homage for me of the time I spent working on my family tree and my connection to my Italian branch of the family. 

Unlike most of my characters, which were created years ago, Italus is a fairly new creation.  I came up with the character in 2015 and wrote him into the stories then.  As well as Italus, you will meet a few supporting cast and a new villain in the issue as well, plus the hint at a concept that will play a large role in the lives of our heroes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cover Redo

Since starting the comic back in 2018 my style has been changing a bit so I thought it would be fun to redo the cover to issue # 1 in the ne...